02 JDE Jacobs Douwe Egberts
OPTIMISED GREEN COFFEE SUPPLY CHAIN
Jde Jacobs DOUWE EGBERTS
JDE were looking to partner with a sector specialist to optimise their UK supply chain, whilst improving stock availability and reducing port costs.
JDE Jacobs Douwe Egberts is a global agribusiness group specialising in coffee and tea. Founded in 1753, JDE develops and markets a range of coffees in over 80 countries, generating annual sales of more than $6.7 billion and employing more than 19,000 people. The Group has a No.1 or No.2 sales position in 43 markets across Europe, South America and Australia.
JDE were looking to partner with a sector specialist to optimise their
UK green coffee supply chain, whilst improving stock availability and reducing port costs. Developing effective partnerships with suppliers
is a key enabler for JDE to achieve their overall business objectives. The timing of the project fell across 2020 and during the Global Pandemic, and the two teams delivered the business change mainly through remote working.
The Commodity Centre’s team designed a customised process, utilising its propriety technologies to manage and track the flow of inventory into the UK through various storage and handling facilities.
- All incoming products can be landed and quality samples taken, prior to storage reconfiguration to suit JDE’s agile needs.
- Utilising a combination of both port centric and full container handling with road & rail links.
- Inland storage warehousing, transform container loads into manageable storage units prior to loading bespoke delivery modules.
- Supply chain visibility, coupled with accurate reporting unique to JDE, is a key catalyst for stable production management while reducing operating costs.
BENEFITS TO JDE
The flexibility and cost focus of the solution, whilst maintaining the entire supply chain visibility, was a key differentiator for JDE and brought about several significant cost savings to the project, and at the same time improving productivity.
- Major savings in reducing port costs for detention and demurrage of containers with timely restitution and processing.
- Real-time reporting of stock positions and quality checks allowed JDE to confidently change production plans.
- To work with a reliable and forward-thinking partner.
- Delivery of a more robust and sustainable supply chain.
Commodity Centre has agreed a long-term contract with JDE to continue the collaborative working relationship; looking after their interests, and providing the most efficient and sustainable supply chains.